Friday, April 12, 2013

French Sequins...

...aka Fail Dots.



This is the second of two 'failed' manicures I attempted last night. Even though I'm not totally happy with this, there are things I do like about it, so I wanted to share it anyway. I'll explain some of why it is a fail for me, along with a bonus picture of the manicure I started with, and then redid in favor of this blue tip design.


I picked this Hard Candy Celebrate Sequins up at Walmart a few nights ago, and had visions of a french tip design with a sparkly holographic base. So after my base coat dried, I applied a coat of Celebrate Sequins to the whole nail. I then used french nail tip design guards to section off the french tip, and added a nice coat of China Glaze First Mate to the tips of the nails, immediately removing the tip guards after painting. I was happy with the way it looked with just the glitter and blue, but I felt the need to add something to break it up a bit...and this is where I failed.


I am not one to do free hand nail art, and I don't have a lot of experience with dotting, I like to stick to glitter and stamping for the most part. The dots are too big, erratically spaced, and smudged due to my lack of patience before adding top coat. Sigh. I should have left it at just the glitter and blue tips, lesson learned!


Below is the manicure I did first, which doesn't look too bad in the photo. The fail here came from the pink I chose for the tips, Orly Fabulous Flamingo. It took three coats to get the color opaque, and by then the tips were just too thick for my liking. I do think I did a better job on the dots here, though.








3 comments:

  1. Ah! The dots totally make sense! I think it still looks adorable and I actually am totally digging the pink one! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pink one. I can't tell that the tips are thick from the photo, but I understand how it can feel funky in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies! I do like the way the pink looks in the photos, but the feel and the up close look was just too irritating for my perfectionist personality lol! Maybe I will try that look again another time with a more opaque pink :)

    ReplyDelete